Sunday, June 12, 2016

...And They Lived Happily Ever After. The End.

A wise bear (Winnie the Pooh) once said, "How lucky am I to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard?". I have been extremely lucky to study abroad and it's difficult to thoroughly describe my endless adventures. The best way that I have come up with to describe my study abroad experience is to compare it to a fairy tale. I felt like I was in my own wonderland where nothing bad could ever happen. I had virtually no responsibilities (except trying to figure out what country we wanted to see over the weekend). I met amazing people who forced me to be a better version of me and who taught me things that mean the world to me. I will forever be grateful for every single adventure that made my study abroad experience what it was. I couldn't have asked for anything better. I don't regret a single dollar that I spent, a single tear that I cried, or a single smile that turned into a laugh; because all those little moments are what made my fairy tale purely magical.

Every place that I had the opportunity to visit gave its own little piece of magic to me. That's why it is so incredibly difficult for me to choose my "favorite place" (which is a question that I am so frequently greeted with). The truth is, I don't have a place that I can truly call my favorite. Every country and every city that I got to visit had its own personality and own dynamism which made it special to me. I loved Italy because of its complex history and impeccable food. I loved going to Ireland because we got to see the Cliffs of Moher, which was completely different than anything we had seen before. I loved Berlin because of the pristine weather and the group that I traveled with (and the giant May Day festival which was a sight to see in it of itself). And, of course, I am so grateful to be able to call the Czech Republic a home for me. It was truly the ideal place for us. I visited twelve different countries in my time abroad. But, what that really means, is that I got to immerse myself into twelve different cultures and add twelve different chapters to my story.

I have learned more in the past three months than time in a classroom ever could have taught me. I couldn't tell you the first thing about Czech history, but I could give you a list a mile long about what I learned about myself. I found that life is truly what you make of it. If you choose to be negative and only look at the downsides of things, it can and will rub off on your charisma and on the people that you surround yourself with. However, the opposite also holds true. If you are positive and have a smile on your face even in the worst situations, it will change your outlook on life. "Optimism always" is a little mantra that I continually tried to live out. I also learned to enjoy every moment that God has graced me with. Whether that means spending hours on an overcrowded train, staying up late to talk to someone, or having the time of your life rafting down a river. Every second that I have been given is a gift and I had to go half way around the world to discover that secret. Yes, I do wish that I had more of that precious time left. I do wish that I could have one more denni menu, or one more trip to plan, or one more walk home. But, I know that I also have many more moments to savor here as well. I will forever cherish my moments in Europe, but I am beyond delighted to keep experiencing this world wherever I may be.

When I first got to Europe so many days ago, I thought that it was surreal to actually be there and to jump into the next few months. However, now it feels even more surreal to be back at my home. I loved the fact that I didn't know where I was going to be or what I was going to do the next day. I adored the idea that I would be staying in a terrible hostel with some of the best people that I know, seeing monumental landmarks that some only see on their Pinterest accounts. Nonetheless, I found that I am infinitely blessed to be living the life I do here in Nebraska. As much as I thought my adventures in Europe were a fairy tale, some people dream of the simple life that I live here. Of course, I am terribly melancholic that I don't get to wake up and sit on my balcony at Neredin anymore, but I am eager to see what God has planned for me in the days, months, and years to come. My astounding adventures presented me with the opportunity to ride on my own magic carpet, fall into my own rabbit hole, slay my own dragons, and find what it truly means to live happily ever after.
View from my balcony at Neredin
Town square in Olomouc

~"It's time to say goodbye, but I think goodbyes are sad and I'd much rather say hello. Hello to a new adventure." -Ernie Harwell




No comments:

Post a Comment