Sunday, March 20, 2016

Kearney, America ---> Rome, Italy ---> Olomouc, Czech Republic

After twelve hours in the air, 6 hours of sitting in airports, and at least an hour of getting lost, we finally made it. I'm trading my house for hostels and dorms, my business classes for Czech language and history classes, and the United States for Europe. But I will never be able to trade the adventures and memories that I will spend the next ninety days making. 

View of Rome feat. me
I had the unique opportunity to travel to Rome with my mom before starting my study abroad experience. I couldn't have asked for anything better. She taught me so much about traveling in my first week in Europe than I ever could have learned through books or websites. We jam-packed our week with the Colosseum and the Forum, St. Peter's Basilica, and the Vatican Museums. Not to mention our day trip to the beautiful island of Capri and stopped to grab a pizza in Naples on the way home. I loved every single one of these places. There is so much beauty in Rome and so much history (especially Catholic history) that I am missing out on in Nebraska. More importantly, however, were the nontraditional lessons that I got to learn from my mom. Examples include:

1. Being where you are and seeing what's right in front of you. If I always am planning where I will be going next, I will miss where I am. Sometimes it's better to take a step back and look at the majesty and the beauty of what is right in front of you.

2. Yes, it is possible to get to the train station 10 minutes before you leave, buy a ticket in Italian, find your platform, and board your train.

3, Always order the house specialty. Whether that be wine, pasta, cheesecake, or limoncello. That recipe has been passed down for generations and has been perfected just for YOU to enjoy. Don't always get the same thing and don't be afraid to try something new. 

From the beautiful country of Italy, we "zipped on over" to Prague. From there, I unfortunately had to say good-bye so that I could start my journey of studying abroad in the Czech Republic.
Alpha Phis with view of Prague


Prague was truly a city that is sometimes lost when we look at "major cities in Europe". Many people always think of Paris, London, Madrid, etc. However, Prague's beauty is incomparable. The City of A Thousand Spires is truly just that. Filled with steeples and castles, this city truly glows. We didn't get to experience everything that Prague had to offer (because we will be returning soon!), but we got a taste of the Czech Republic (and it's food...yum!) in the few days we were there!

From Prague, we took a bus to Olomouc, our new home for the next three months. At first, I was very overwhelmed with getting here and realizing that this, truly, was where I would be living for ninety days. Olomouc is a city with approximately 100,000 people with about a quarter of them being college students. Quite the "college town" if you ask me. I am getting the opportunity to experience the Czech Republic from this unexampled city.

During this first week, I feel as if I have been here for months. We finally got to start taking classes (so my brain will not just be filled with Netflix and KRMC item numbers). We get to take a Czech language class, a Holocaust class, and a European history class. So far, we have only had lectures with the Czech language. I have learned how to say "Can I get a beer, please?" and "My name is Molly". More to come on that aspect. We have not started the other two classes quite yet, but I am interested to learn about history though the eyes of our Czech professor. 

Other than classes, we have gotten to know Olomouc. Not only their breweries and restaurants (which have been pristine) but also about the little gems that are hidden in the city. Such as the Minor Basilica of the Visitation of the Blessed Virgin Mary. AKA a marvelous church that was built for pilgrims to come and worship Mary. It truly has been a refuge for many and one of the most divine places I have ever been (I might have cried once or twice). Things like this and more are hidden throughout Olomouc and I am very excited to see what this city truly has to offer.
Minor Basilica of the Visitation of the Blessed Virgin Mary


Kearney to Rome to Prague to Olomouc. The list will just keep growing throughout the next few months. I love wandering and experiencing each new place with optimism and an open mind. 

~The heart of man plans his way, but the LORD establishes his steps.~ (Proverbs 16:9)

No comments:

Post a Comment